Location: The Working Centre 58 Queen Street South, Kitchener, ON
Date: 19 Oct 2016
– What systems have you migrated?
– What lessons and best practices have you learned?
– What migrations are coming up? What are the challenges?
### Migrating from Exchange 2003
– The customers are in their 80s
– Marc is moving them to cloud-based email for simplicity
– What will they do for backups? (No)
– They were on older versions of Outlook
– Comparisons: https://products.offi…
– Are there backdoors?
– Some companies transferred to outlook.com and lost emails, so it is easier to move mails one by one
– You need to look for PST files as the user
– Look for autocompletions : outlook.nk2 (also see nk2view)
### Dealing with people who leave
– Do you let them delete files off their machines?
– How do you separate personal and work stuff?
– ophCrack uses rainbow tables
– Passwords are easy to crack with Hashcat
– Are there ways to be clever with short passwords? (No)
### Everything is terrifying
– scam emails
– phishing and spear phishing
– bootstrapping from small amounts of data to larger amounts
### PST files
– Mail archive format for Outlook
– You should not keep them on network shares
### Migrating file shares
– It is important to have only one writeable copy at a time
– Migrating file shares to Linux. There are problems:
+ Shadow copies
+ Sometimes permission sets have issues
### Virus removal tools
– Microsoft Security Essentials
– HijackThis (logging)
For user education:
– ninite.com for getting software
### Other recommendations
– BlueGriffon website builder
– Zikula PHP framework/CMS (based on PostNuke)