Location: The Working Centre 58 Queen Street South, Kitchener, ON
Date: 13 Jul 2016
What kinds of remote sites do you need to support/connect?
– Second location
+ public facing location at one site
– People working remotely without having an office
What things do remote users need to do?
– File sharing: spreadsheets, word documents, PDFs
– Database use
What tools do you do to enable them?
– Sharepoint site for sharing documents
+ Brendan uses an older version
– Syncing files between file shares
– Windows Server Remote App
+ Small Business Server and Essentials
– Moving files to the cloud
+ hosted server
– Syncing with dropbox
– Office 365 transitions workflow to the cloud
+ Complicated for users
+ SecurePoint client makes it easier
– Cisco mobility to connect (forwards all traffic via the VPN?)
+ Local storage with encrypted storage
+ files are stored remotely
– Windows BranchCache?
– Bittorrent sync, Dropbox, Syncthing
– Caching servers that sync overnight
– Microsoft DFS Replication (don’t bother!)
+ OneDrive for Business is still not working
– OpenVPN over OpenWRT
– SSH tunnelling for remote access
– Remote support: SSH tunnelling, VNC, Fuse and SSHFS
– OwnCloud with WebDAV
+ OwnCloud does not do symbolic links very well
– WebEx (free for first three clients)
– http://www.remoteutil… : free for 10 clients
– AWS cloud?
– Using git for synchronization
What clouds are easy to set up?
– OwnCloud on VPSes or your own servers
What is painful?
– Attaching remote files to local email
– Syncing multimedia files (photos)
– Downloading things from the VPN is slow
– People want things to work without learning anything
– Initially contact to a remote client: how do you get them setup?
+ join.me, bomgar, TeamViewer, screensharing with Skype (slow)
– Users do not provide enough detail
– Slow connections on the remote end
– ADSL connections with slow uploads
– Can we stop the cloud?
– Synchronizing calendars
+ OwnCloud is not up to snuff
+ What webdav clients exist for Android? acal, solcalendar don’t work
+ SunRise calendar: https://play.google.c…
+ business calendar: https://play.google.c…
+ There is an Exchange connector for Android
Troubleshooting mobile devices?
– Remote support viewing on smartphones? WebEx, LogMeIn
– syncing over DSL
– online collaborative systems for sharing documents
– newer versions of Sharepoint allow concurrent editing of documents
– confidential/sensitive information being uploaded to The Cloud ™
+ But any computer that is online is on the Cloud
– Storing medical information on the Cloud?
– VPN routers?
+ They have VPN servers themselves (IPSec and PPTP)
+ How do they find the clients? They use a road warrior setup
– German company: SoftMaker (word processor software)
– Execulink supports vDSL now?
– Teksavvy has business offerings
+ They have good support
– Eyesurf : okay but limited
– Acanac ?