Location: Communitech Jelly Bean Room 1st Floor, 151 Charles Street West, Kitchener, ON (Look for the building with the Communitech, Google, and Desire To Learn logos, enter at the glass doors.)
Date: April 10th, 2017
Time: 7:00 PM
What’s a blockchain? Is this all about math? How do I make Bitcoin payments? How can I receive Bitcoin donations on my Website? Are there other blockchain currencies? What services exist for blockchain currency exchange? Is blockchain technology good for more than just Bitcoin? What blockchain tools exist for Non-Profit organizations?
Marc and Bob ask the questions, and we’ll have a guest (or several) to provide the answers!
See you at the meeting!
–Marc and Bob
Meeting Notes for Blockchains (2017-04-10)
- Today we’re joined by guest Kris Stinson (@StinsonKris on Twitter)
- Lots of media attention, “blockchain this, blockchain that”, they’re trying to sell you a database
- Microsoft, IBM, governments (even Canada: Cancoin)
- Banks are threatened, unregulated currency (scary!)
- Japan has approved Bitcoin as a currency (legal tender)
- Legal (tax) ramifications: Capital Gains.
- We watch a video with Andreas Antonopolis: Foremost educator on Bitcoin
Types of Blockchain Currency
- CryptoCurrency Market Capitalizations
- Augur – a “betting” site; deals with contracts
- Based on Ethereum
- DAO – Decentralized Autonomous Organization
- eg. Ethereum
- A decision by this DAO split Ethereum into Ethereum and Ethereum Classic
- Now there are miners working on both branches of the blockchain
- “The mining network” determines whether a fork of the blockchain can happen
How does the blockchain determine “truth”?
- The longest chain wins
- “Rolling back the chain”
- Will change the game!
- Winkelvoss brothers
- Own over 50% of bitcoin?
- This is a problem, they can determine the validity of transactions
- Wallets are Public/Private Key encryption containers
- How to get a Bitcoin Donation buttton on our Non-Profit Organization website?
- Just need to publish your wallet’s Public Key, no “button” required
- But Shifty Button | ShapeShift | The fastest way to swap cryptocurrencies. No account required
- This will generate a button for multiple currencies;
- Just copy ‘n’ paste your public wallet address
Other blockchain technologies
- Don’t trust The Cloud?
90 minutes was far too short to cover all aspects of Blockchain Technology; we’ll invite Kris Stinson back someday.
Video Recording of this Meetup (by Gheorghe Curelet-Balan): https://youtu.be/6cz-vqDxfyc